IN-HOUSE LEGAL COUNSEL (PART-TIME)
Founded in 2014, Peak has grown rapidly winning numerous awards and attracted significant funding to support the company’s mission of delivering artificial intelligence (AI) solutions to our impressive range of clients.
This is our first In-House Legal position and a great opportunity to help shape our function and get involved in a range of work in the evolving field of AI. If you are someone who is naturally curious; who wants to be involved with business critical projects, commercial and legal strategies this would be a great role.
We are a collaborative bunch and thrive on working together as a team to share knowledge and experiences. As our In-House Legal at Peak, you will be working in an open, creative and supportive environment and have a high degree of autonomy with the role.
We’re looking for an In-House Legal Counsel to provide value-enhancing legal support to Peak. You will be the central point of contact at Peak for all legal enquiries and will take the lead on a wide range of corporate, commercial and regulatory legal matters.
This opportunity would be on a part time basis (circa 15-20 hours per week). We are open to discussing the hours structure with candidates. Responsibilities will include:
● Maximising opportunities for providing value-enhancing legal support to Peak
● Working collaboratively with wider teams, such as Sales, to oversee the drafting of contracts and negotiation of commercial contracts
● Completing non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) and data processing agreements (DPAs) with clients. Provide advice on data protection matters from a legal perspective
● Tracking contracts throughout the stages towards completion ensuring records are up to date, secure and accurate at all times
● Managing supplier contracts; conducting regular reviews and reports on supplier term
● Providing support and guidance to the People team on any employment-law matters including the Peak share option scheme
● Assisting with documentation required for key periods of the financial calendar including investment rounds
● Continual development around legal research to maintain due diligence of contract, GDPR and regulatory rules
● Assisting with the management of broader legal projects such as companies house filings, company articles and liaising with external legal advisers
● Managing compliance throughout the business and undertaking risk management checks in collaboration with the wider team
● Supporting the completion of Patent applications
● Other ad hoc legal queries tasks as and when needed
We’re on a big mission at Peak ‘to be the global leaders of AI’ and we need teammates with the following qualities to help us make this happen:
● Drive and motivation to deliver excellent internal and external stakeholder service
● Attention to detail – ensuring best practice whilst maintaining an ability to work in a fast pace environment
● Enthusiasm to undertake a variety of financial tasks across the business
● Ability to prioritise workload and organise day-to-day tasks
● Have a logical and pragmatic approach to solving problems and dealing with queries
● Excellent analytical skills and the ability to present research findings, reports, etc
● Be ambitious and keen to embrace successes and challenges with the team
● Excellent communication skills with the ability to summarise and communicate legal issues and solutions clearly to non-legal audiences.
We’d love to see someone who can demonstrate…
● Knowledge of commercial contracts – ideally from tech sector or vendors
● Good understanding and practical experience of data protection and IP laws
● Strong Private Practice or In-House Legal role background
● Qualified solicitor (or equivalent)
● Excellent drafting skills and the ability to analyse complex agreements
● Competency with Microsoft Office – particularly Word
● Familiarity with legal documents and terminology
● A natural self starter who can work independently and as part of a team
● Ability to work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment, with a can-do attitude and positive approach
● Open and willingness to learn new systems and processes
● Opportunity to help scale Peak and make a large impact in a fast-growing company with global ambition
● Competitive compensation package – share options, pension, generous holiday entitlement, subsidised gym membership
● Regular team days and social activities
● Cycle to work initiative and public transport season ticket loans
● A fantastic working environment with open communication channels, flat hierarchy and a truly collaborative style
● Opportunity to influence Peak’s early success in entering the US market in 2019
● Learn from some of the best minds in the UK across multiple disciplines
In an age when becoming AI and data-driven is one of the most important things businesses must do, it can also be one of the most challenging. That’s where Peak comes in; our AI System sits at the heart of our client’s businesses, enabling the rapid unification, modelling and – most importantly – use of data. All supported by our world-class data science team. We are an Amazon Web Services (AWS) Partner, and hold Machine Learning Competency status.
Headquartered in Manchester, Peak also has offices in London, Edinburgh, Jaipur and Brisbane. In 5 years we have grown to a team of nearly 100 and expect this to continue to grow in line with our business plans. We have created an excellent office environment that reflects our culture and values. Our clients include established FTSE 250 retailers, manufacturers and well-known brands alongside highly innovative and tech-savvy businesses.